Crispy Broccoli

I never used to be a fan of broccoli, but since I discovered Smitten Kitchen's crispy broccoli with lemon and garlic, we now eat broccoli almost every week. I've been making crispy broccoli for years and along the way I dropped the lemon and garlic which makes this recipe even easier to make, while the broccoli is just as appealing to eat. 

Unlike the Ottolenghi recipes I've posted previously which require multiple processes, there are basically 4 steps in this recipe: Cut broccoli. Sprinkle olive oil and salt. Roast. Eat.

This dish is also extremely kid-friendly. My two children can eat a whole oven tray of broccoli fresh out of the oven and I have to scavenge to get some. On the days when we have friends over all the kids go crazy for the crispy broccoli. I often make this as a quick snack by itself or serve it alongside fish and roast potatoes to add some green to our meal. 

I usually make this in the oven but it works in an airfryer too. 



Crispy Broccoli

1 head of broccoli
1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt to taste (about half a teaspoon to a teaspoon)
squeeze of lemon juice (optional)


Cut the broccoli into florets and place them in a bowl. (I like to cut the florets a little smaller than usual because they crisp up quicker and it feels like there is more to go around)

Drizzle the olive oil and salt over the broccoli and toss it to coat.

Place the broccoli onto an oven tray and roast at 200 degrees celcius for approximately 15 minutes. You want the broccoli to brown a bit but not get burnt. (If you are using an air fryer, this takes approximately 10 minutes.)

Take out of the oven and add a squeeze of lemon juice and an extra sprinkle of salt if needed.

Serve while still hot and crispy.



Comments